Pages

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Backyard Dreams


When I was a boy growing up in South Buffalo there were many pleasures
to be had: swimming at Cazenovia park, fshing the creek, fourth of July
concerts in the park, reading Isaac Asimov novels on rainy afternoons. But
none of these epic pursuits could really compare with a simple game of catch
behind the house with my father.

Back then I thought that I was learning to be a ballplayer, honing my skills
while dad tossed a variety of bloopers, grounders and off - speed stuff. I chased
everything down , endlessly stretching, sliding, running, diving until I felt that
sweet orb of horsehide nestle into the deep hollow of my mitt.
And the mitt. Still have it. A six fnger job - soft right out of the bag. That
mitt was my pillow for six months while I worked the pocket by wrapping a ball
inside and sleeping on it night after night. I dreamed on that mitt.

My dreams weren't big league dreams. Never played much organized
ball. Too many rules. Too many people shouting at you to "swing" or "hold up".
No place for a kid to run free and scout cloud formations from his left feld post.
No. I preferred a quieter brand of baseball. A purer form, if you will.
Most of the action is played out in the imagination where Mickey, Roger or Yogi
hit easy grounders, or looping fy balls that settled nicely into my glove. I mean
those guys were scared of me. I owned them . These games were on my turf.
We had a small yard, even by urban standards. Yet it had the sweetest
patch of grass this side of Yankee stadium.. Cut it myself to make sure it stayed
a the right length. No chop grounders; no cheap outs.

Well, I got older and dad got slower and the time between our games got
longer. Something had changed. He could still throw a nice high pop - up. I
could still hear the crowds cheer as I snagged it basket style like Wille. But the
games got fewer and farther between. My life had expanded in other directions:
the Beatles, girls, trigonometry. In those days I often felt like a rocket
ascending headlong into who knows where. One day I was ready to move to
California; the next I wanted to join a monastery. It was exciting and dangerous
and frightening all at once. But dad never seemed to change. He was a rock: a
little dull but dependable. Steady. A foundation.

And that's where I always returned when I needed that steadiness. It
wasn't a big deal. It wasn't a deep , soul searching experience. I'd simply grab
my old six finger and head out back.. "Play some catch, dad?"
Soon the ball would be sailing high overhead. I 'd track it down just as it
was about to go over the wall. Another home run taken away. Highway robbery right in my own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment